Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Your Story - Kat from Sweet Kat's Creations





I am pleased to introduce Kat from Sweet Kat's Creations. Although Kat is from Chicago, our desire to donate to worthy causes has brought her along my path, in the online world at least. You can follow her on Facebook, Pinterest and her blog. She truly does amazing work!

-Introduce yourself. Tell us who you are, and what you do.
Hi! My name is Kat. I’m a project manager and I take cake orders on the side when I have the time. I am happily married and live in Chicago.

-How did you get started baking cakes?
I love feeding people because of how much enjoyment there is around food and when I got into baking, it was just another avenue of adding to that. I then got into cake decorating and absolutely loved it. I was able to create beautiful pieces of art that were also delicious!

-What inspired you to use this as a lever to donate to charity?
When I was a kid, my mother was a single parent who couldn’t keep a job because of her ill health. Because of that, we went days without food. What got us through that time were people who actually cared enough to help by volunteering in charities such as soup kitchens. Even though these people had no idea who we were, they still wanted to make a difference. They kept us fed. They helped us survive those hard times.
I want to do the same and pay it forward.

-Who do you donate to/how is donating done?
I let the customer pick the charity they want the donation to go to. I just ask that it is a recognized 501(c)(3) organization

-What is your favourite aspect of doing this?
My favorite part of all this is finding out which charity the customer picks. The customer and I get also get present to something bigger than ourselves and how we can both make a difference in others lives.

-What have you learned?
I have learned of so many different charities that I was never aware of! It is also really touching to see what charities lay close to the hearts of my customers.

-What would you do differently?
I wish I thought of doing the cakes for charity project when I first started making cakes!

-How have people responded to your work/donating to charity?
Many people find it inspiring and it has opened themselves to find out ways on how they can make a difference themselves.

-What is some advice for others wanting to do something to support a charity?
It really helps if you find a way of helping with something that you are passionate or enjoy doing.  Some people also feel that if they are going to support a charity, they have to commit to a huge commitment but every little bit helps!

-What are your plans for the future? This can be both long term or short term.
I would love to work with other collaborators on different charity projects.

-If someone reading this post wanted to purchase from you, where would they go to do so?
The best way to contact me is via email at sweetkatscreations@gmail.com.

-Don't forget to check Kat and her fabulous creations out!
http://pinterest.com/kathyshin/sweet-kat-s-creations/

Thanks Kat!

My (Andrea) personal favourite... 




Yes, that's a cake! Maybe it's my favourite because I work with leather, but regardless, this is amazing work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...